Thursday, October 4, 2012

Upcoming Tastings and a Recipe

Well, I'm looking forward to this evening!  A couple of friends of mine - and a couple guys I don't know yet (friends of friends) - are coming over this evening to taste 6 amber beers...


My picture is actually missing one of the beers we will try this evening... here are the beers, in tasting order:


So, needless to say, I'm looking forward to this!!  Also, I get to use my little tasting cups that I hoarded at the Dallas Observer Brewfest a few weeks ago.   

While my tasting mind has been on ambers, my brewing mind has been on Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.  If I didn't have about 8 cases of beer aging right now, I'd totally brew this today.  Found this recipe for it.... (This recipe from Freezeblade.)

75% eff. AG. 5.5 gallons. Mash@156 for 60 mins, 60 min boil.

Mr. Brown
7# Marris Otter
.5# Brown Malt
.5# British Crystal 55L
.25# British Crystal 135L
.25# UK Chocolate malt
.25# Flaked oats (toasted)

.5oz EKGs@FWH
.5oz Fuggles@FWH
1oz EKGs@60

WLP026 Premium Bitter Yeast, although WLP005 or any other english strain would be awesome in it as well.


I don't know about you, but I wasn't familiar with adding hops "FWH" - so, follow the link for some explanation. Definitely trying this on my next brewing experience!! (BTW - explore that site a bit - it's a good one!)

So, keep on the lookout for our tasting notes with the ambers - and, I'm contemplating a podcast that would feature a few beers and a scotch... so, there's that...

--BnFN

No comments:

Post a Comment